Thursday, June 10, 2010

Panicky Last Minute Attempt to Boost Marks V.2!

I was going to upload some graphs that I decided to take out of my appendix, but it will take up TWO ENTIRE MGS OF MY ALREADY LAST-GASPING BANDWITH. This shall be done...soon...

While I'm here, I might as well summarise my research, because I haven't done that.

1. Moulds can not photosynthesise.
2. They need food, moisture and oxygen.
3. They grow by extending filaments called hyphae with more cells.
4. The body of a fungus is called a mycelium -think of the soild part of a mushroom- for mould the body can be called a colony.
5. They excrete hydrolytic enzymes and mycotoxins that stop competing organisms from growing. Nice.
6. They reproduce through spores; merges spores contain genetic material from two species of fungi; spores travel on air currents and can remain airborne indefinitely.
7. Mould at room temperature thrives.
8. Mould can begin growing at 4 degress Celsius, the temperature of a fridge.
9. Few species can survive outside of 4-38 degrees Celsius.
10. Blue cheese contains penicillium, which grows where it can access food and oxygen but will stop growing when it can not. Mould from blue cheese can be scraped off and stored to make another batch of cheese.

I referenced about three or four sources pretty heavily, and put in a few sentences from the others. Hmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment