Saturday, May 22, 2010

Some Things

Who deleted my photos of the first few days of growing?!

Look, here's the deal:

on Monday and Tuesday I observed no visible change in all of the slices.

On Wednesday, the mould on the pantry slices had doubled or tripled. Things were good. Nothing going on with the fridge and freezer slices.

On Thursday, the pantry slices had between 10-16 square centimetres of mould on them. I counted the squares of concentrated, dark blue mould. There were thin, pale 'tails' of mould spreading out from the source, on both sides of the slice. Again, nothing with the colder samples.

On Friday, I came home to see a veritable EMPIRE of mould on the pantry slices. I would have said the mould had now taken over an entire side, but there were some empty bits. Between 90-100 square centimetres, I counted. It's got most of the other side, too. Once again, NO GROWTH on the fridge and freezer mould. But with just these five slices in room temperature, THIS happened:



Now, my hypothesis was that the pantry mould would grow the fastest, the fridge mould a bit slower, and the freezer mould not at all.

But the pantry mould is growing SO FAST, my experiment is over in five days. The fridge mould is growing not at all, when I'd have thought there'd be SOME. A LITTLE. A TEENY bit. I mean, I've found mouldy food in the fridge before. Why can't my bead mould grow there then? Freezer is what I expected though. Nothing.

I'm probably going to do a second trial to compare with this one. Three slices for each or five again? I'll have to use the blue cheese mould, since I HAD to throw away the Evil One.

I'll be forced to make it an equal five day trial, so that leaves me three weekends to finish up my introduction, organise my data (probably be forced to handdraw the graphs and tables TT_TT) and write my report.

When what I really want to do is watch a Disney marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment